I absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, stole this post idea from Erin over at Love, Fun & Football. As soon as I saw her post yesterday I knew I had to do the same thing. I'm always thinking of fun things that I want to do during the summer months here in Maine, yet somehow I never seem to get them all accomplished! Being the list person that I am, it feels good to have them all written down in front of me and I'm excited to cross them off as I go!
We are always really busy in the summer... the kids are out of school but of course I'm still working full time, we have baseball every weekend, different camps from here all the way to Pennsylvania, and of course we try to soak up the summer goodness every chance we get! Living in Maine in the summer time is pretty awesome... the things we have here are amazing and I've really tried to take advantage of our area over the last couple of summers. This summer I plan on doing the same and have come up with a list of (mostly new!) things to do!
1. Host a kids BBQ - a fun afternoon of good summer food and play for my kids and their friends
2. The Lobster Shack - the quintessential summer restaurant in Maine. The restaurant itself is literally a 'shack' where you place your order. You can sit inside if you wish, but to me the best (and only!) option is to sit outside on the picnic tables right next to the ocean as you eat your meal. You can't get a better view or atmosphere with your dinner than you get at Lobster Shack!
3. Diana's Baths - this is in New Hampshire, just a couple hours from our house. Doesn't it look absolutely beautiful? We've never been so I'm looking forward to taking the kids there this summer to explore!
4. Saltwater Grille & Lighthouses - Saltwater Grille is another local restaurant that's right on the water, only it's fancier and more high end than The Lobster Shack. It's a great atmosphere so it's a perfect lunch spot to hit up before going to explore some lighthouses in our area. We hit up these same lighthouses last year and even though they're just in the next town over, it really makes for a fun afternoon of exploring.
5. Drive-In Movie - can you believe I've never been to a drive-in movie? What if I told you there's a drive-in about 1 mile from my house? Crazy, right?! I need to fix that this summer and catch a movie.
6. Beach & Amusement Park day - Old Orchard Beach is just a couple miles from my house but we never head down there in the summer time. It's very touristy and just not something that we take advantage of. This summer we plan on taking friends and heading down to the beach and hitting up the amusement rides for a day.
7. Boston - no specific plans here but we want to head to Boston for a day and just do a few touristy things. Ryan wants to do the duck boats but other than that we will just play it by ear.
8. Peak's Island - Peak's is such a quaint little island that's very low-key and laid back. There's not a whole lot to do except take the boat out, ride bikes, enjoy a picnic lunch and the beach, and relax. Yes, relax... that thing we don't do enough of.
9. Mount Agamenticus & Flo's Hot Dogs - this mountain is about a half hour south of us and is a beautiful hiking spot. The views from the top are spectacular so we'll definitely take that 2 mile hike. Just up the street is Flo's Hot Dogs... a small, old place that you'd likely find on "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives." I've never been but will gladly visit after we've hiked the mountain!
So that's our list for summer '13! I know it will be tough to squeeze everything in on top of a normal summer schedule but I'm confident we'll get it done! What's on your must-do list for this upcoming summer?